Why learn French?
Reasons to learn French
- French is the eleventh most widely-spoken language in the world
- French is the official language of 33 countries in the world
- French is spoken in two of the G7 countries
- French is the mother tongue of 75 million people
- 200 million people around the world understand, speak, and write French
- French is the official language of postal services across the world.
For those with the appropriate skills there are also opportunities to work in the following fields:
- international business
- international agencies
- the tourism and hospitality industries
- the diplomatic service
- French research institutes
- as a teacher
- as a translator or interpreter.
French, along with English, is the official working language of:
- the United Nations
- Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- the International Labour Bureau
- the International Olympic Committee
- the 31-member Council of Europe
- the European Community
- the Universal Postal Union
- the International Red Cross
- Union of International Associations (UIA).