In the preliminary course (120 hours), students will study:
- part I: case studies - at least two case studies should be undertaken, for example, Slave trade, 19th Century China
- part II: historical investigation - students choose a topic of interest, research and present
- part III: core study: The World at the Beginning of the Twentieth Century.
In the HSC course (120 hours), students will study:
- part I: core study: World War I 1914–1919: A Source-based Study
- part II: one national study, for example, Nazi Germany
- part III: one personality in the Twentieth Century, for example, Albert Speer
- part IV: one international study in peace and conflict, for example, Cold War.