Support teacher learning assistance (STLA)
The support teacher learning assistance (STLA) provides extra support to students who are experiencing learning difficulty.
The role of the STLA is to:
- assist in identifying and assessing students with learning difficulties
- work with class teachers to meet the needs of students by modifying and /or adapting programs
- focus on student's literacy and numeracy skills by running programs to help improve spelling, reading, writing and basic maths skills
- liaise with the primary school to facilitate the transition process of students already experiencing learning difficulties
- provide opportunities for students to develop social and independent living skills.
We also have a team of experienced school learning support officers (SLSO) who assist teachers in the classroom to implement the individual education program of students with special needs.
English as a second language (ESL) support
The English as a second language (ESL) program at Blakehurst High aims to develop ESL students' English language competence and improve their learning outcomes across the curriculum.
We aim to provide students with the language support to enable them to participate fully in the many activities the school offers, while also providing the foundations for future career challenges.
- ESL support is offered by experienced ESL staff
- ESL English is offered as and HSC subject in Year 11 and 12
- additional support is offered to our International students.